Brown Butter Blondies with White Chocolate and Macadamia Nuts
Well, hey there!
How was your Thanksgiving? Did you get enough of rich, beige foods over the weekend? I surely did. I’ll be planning a few healthy, veg-packed meals for next week. But before I get on with that nonsense, how about one last buttery dessert for the road? How about these brown butter blondies with white chocolate and macadamia nuts? Say yes?
I whipped up this tastiness just before the holiday and have no regrets. These blondies are based off of Smitten Kitchen’s ultra-customizable blondie recipe. I modeled them after my all-time fave cookie, white chocolate with macadamia nuts, with the addition of brown butter, for extra caramelly-ness. They can’t be beat!
I love the way these blondies develop that totally covetable, shiny, crackly crust on top. In my totally correct and unarguable opinion, a good brownie or blondie should have that crust. It is a true sign of legitimacy. Did you know that the crackle is actually a very thin layer of meringue that forms from the egg, sugar, and butter? Fact! By spending a little extra time whipping those ingredients together until thick and shiny, before folding in the dry ingredients, you can ensure that all of your brownies, henceforth, are graced with the crackle. I say this because I love you.
Here is a recipe for your face. I’m going to take the remainder of the week off from blogging to recover from the holiday and ease into my new job, which started on Monday. I’ll be back next week with some veg-happy meals for you!
- 8 T. (1 stick) butter
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1 c. flour
- 3/4 c. white chocolate chips
- 3/4 c. chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8" baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Cut butter into chunks and place in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown color develops (think golden retriever), about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine butter with brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk rapidly until smooth, and then beat in the egg and vanilla. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes, until batter is thick and shiny. Fold in salt and flour, then the white chocolate and nuts.
- Spread batter into baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the center is firm and a shiny crust has developed on top.
- Allow to cool before cutting and eating.