Spiced Lamb Balls with Kale, Lentils, and Cumin-Yogurt Sauce
This will be a short post as I am hoping to get a few recipes up before I sign off for the long Thanksgiving weekend. We’ll be taking a quick flight to Idaho to spend a few days with Ben’s cousin and his adorable new wife, who happens to be a fantastic professional photographer. I’ll be bringing camera along in the hope that she might teach me a thing or two about all of these buttons and doodads. I’ll also be spending a significant amount of time simmering in a hot tub on a porch, watching winter roll in. Can’t wait!
So for today, I present to you a tasty and healthy dinner bowl, chock full of textures and fall spices. It’s not very often that I get to use cinnamon and clove in a savory context. I’m kind of a rebel you guys…
I love cooking the lentils in with the rice, and not just because it’s a time/effort saver, but because rice is super boring. The lentils up the fancy quotient and add some good protein with zero additional effort. Seriously, you just throw it in with the rice.
I’d categorize this one as a motivated weeknight meal. There are a few more steps and dishes involved than I typically want to deal with after work, but considering that I am the kind of woman who walks in the door and takes her pants off immediately, a normal human may find it no big deal whatsoever. Components aside, this will be on your table in 45 minutes.
- 2/3 c. brown rice
- 2/3 c. lentils
- 2 c. water
- pinch salt
- 1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t. tahini paste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 T. water
- 1/2 lb. ground lamb
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/8 t. ground clove
- 1 t. salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 kale leaves, stemmed removed and torn into pieces
- 1 t. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pomegranate seeds
- Bring rice, lentils, salt, and water to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 35 minutes while you make the rest.
- Whisk together yogurt cumin, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice until smooth. Whisk in 1 T. water if needed to achieve slightly runny texture.
- Combine lamb, panko, egg, spices, and salt in a bowl. Work together with hands until incorporated. Roll into 12-14 1-inch balls.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook on all sides for about 15 minutes. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add 1 t. olive oil to pan and wilt the kale. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the rice is finished, plate the meatballs and kale on top of the rice, drizzle the sauce all over, and garnish with pomegranate seeds.