Veggie Pasta with Vegan Avocado Basil Cream Sauce
How is your summer going? Are you grilling out a lot? Are you wearing enough sunscreen? Did you go see the fireworks on Monday? Are you sitting in a stale, air-conditioned office from 8-5 every day wondering how it is that you have no recollection of June ever coming and going? So far I have found myself primarily in the latter scenario, but I am grateful to be on the cusp of a vacation. I’m drafting this post ahead of time as part of my pre-vaycay preps- but by the time this post auto-publishes and you read it, I should be (hopefully) floating carelessly on a lake, slathered in SPF 1000, and taking in some rural peace and quiet. We’re headed back to our place of origin, Wisconsin, where nobody does summer better. In anticipation of all the charred sausages and pasta salads and corn on the cob and snicker apple salad (google it) that I expect to subsist on for the week, I present this week’s dish: A bright and summery, yet creamy and comforting, pasta with fresh english peas, spinach, and a you-have-to-taste-it-to-believe-it raw vegan avocado basil cream sauce.
The sauce, adapted from Damn Delicious, truly could not be easier- you literally throw everything in a blender while the pasta is boiling and blitz until smooth. The peas and spinach join the pasta for the last few seconds in the pot, and then it’s all drained, then tossed with the sauce, and you’re done! What we have here is a 15 minute comfort meal, that doesn’t heat up the house, that doesn’t take a lot of prep, and is relatively healthy. Add this to your summer meal rotation… stat!
If you’re wondering where on earth to find fresh peas and you already missed the farmers market for the week, you can get them at Trader Joe’s, or you can use frozen (no shame in frozen peas!). Let’s see a close-up of those happy little peas!
- 8 oz. pasta (whatever is your favorite shape!)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 T. juice)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 large avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 c. hot pasta water (grab it while the pasta boils)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 c. fresh or frozen peas
- 2 c. fresh spinach leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to directions.
- While the pasta boils, combine garlic, lemon juice, basil, and avocados in blender or food processor. Add a 1/2 c. of hot water from your pasta pot. Blend until smooth. While the blender is still going, drizzle in the olive oil in a slow stream. Set aside.
- Add the peas to the pasta pot for the last minute of cooking. Toss in spinach, stir, then drain pasta immediately.
- Return the pasta to the empty pot and add the sauce. Toss to combine and then serve.
- If there is one downside to this recipe, it is that leftovers do not store well. It is avocado, after all. Scale this up or down as needed!